Updates for international students from IRCC

By Team MyStudia  |  3 Minutes Read   |  August 26, 2020

Updates for international students from IRCC


As the pandemic has hit the operations of all the countries, the immigration sector is affected the most. Canada has carried out special measures to maintain the operations as well as control the adverse effect of the coronavirus.

IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) has taken measures to provide the best services to the international students and other immigrants.

The following is a summary of important developments related to international students and immigration during the current coronavirus pandemic. The summary was compiled by the Canadian Bureau for International Education, Universities Canada, and Colleges and Institutes Canada.

Please check the below mentioned details and question answers for the matter.

I have a study permit or work permit that will expire in the coming weeks and I am unable to obtain a new passport or access required documents. Will I be given an extension?

International students in Canada should apply online to renew the permit and hence they can get the implied status. That will allow them to continue reside in Canada to study or work while application is processed.

Also, the applicants who are unable to access the required documents or get their biometrics, must attach a letter explaining the situation. For the incomplete application, applicant will be given 90 days to submit documents and till then, the application will remain open and till then, there will be no refusal.

Will my study permit take longer to be processed with all the service disruptions in place due to COVID-19?

IRCC will still process study permit applications, but there may be some processing delays.

I have had my May acceptance deferred to September. Will I need a new Letter of Acceptance?

If you are in Canada at the time of deferral, you must begin your studies within 150 days from the date of deferral, or the following semester, whichever comes first. In case, it is not possible, you will have to change your status (for example, to a visitor status), or leave Canada.

I have a study permit or have been approved for one, and will start online courses in summer or fall 2020. Will this affect my future Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

You may begin your classes online while you are outside Canada and complete up to 50% of program. In this case, you will remain eligible and you will not have any time deducted from the length of your future PGWP, up to December 31, 2020.

I do not have a study permit. Can I still start my studies online from abroad?

You are allowed to start your studies online while being outside Canada without having a study permit. However, for PGWP in future, you would need a study permit or a study permit approval.

If I am starting my courses online, do I have to be a full-time student to maintain future PGWP eligibility?

Yes. You are expected to study full-time, unless your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is currently unable to offer full-time study.

I am a new graduate with implied status awaiting a decision for my PGWP application. I also have a job offer letter. Will I be allowed to come to Canada?

If your study permit is no longer valid, you will need to have a Letter of Introduction to be exempt from the travel restrictions.

A Letter of Introduction is the letter you receive from IRCC once you have been approved for the PGWP.

What would be the impact to my PGWP eligibility if my courses moved online and will now account to more than 50% of my overall study?

If you are already in Canada and your program/course is move online due to COVID-19, you will still be eligible for PGWP, even if your online study now accounts for more than 50% of your overall study.

If I start my studies online from home without an approved study permit, will this time be included towards a future PGWP application?

No. Time spent studying online from abroad without a valid study permit or approval will not count towards your eligibility for PGWP.

I am an international student and I have accessed the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). Will I still be eligible to apply for PGWP or Permanent Residence (PR)?

If you have accessed CERB, this will not affect your eligibility for PGWP or PR.

My son, daughter or dependent is a minor with a valid study permit. Am I allowed to come to Canada?

Immediate family members of residents are exempt from travel restriction and can travel to Canada even if they are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents. However, before coming to Canada, you must first obtain authorization from IRCC to be able to board a flight. For this, you should submit a request by sending an email to IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.

Also, you need to apply for temporary visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Can I work full-time if my semester is suspended?

Please note that the suspended semester is not considered as scheduled break or vacation. So you are allowed to work as per the authorized hours detailed on your study permit

Have questions? Koi baat nahi,
You can ask us anything :)

Book free expert counselling Call us at +1 800 258 3242

Leave us a message. We don’t play
hard to get :)

Download the MyStudia app.

Everything you need to study abroad, in your pocket.

Studying abroad is much easier with MyStudia.

Get started for free Sign up