A complete Guide on MBA in Canada
By Team MyStudia | | August 12, 2021
Over the past few weeks we had several questions regarding MBA in Canada on our social media platforms. So we decided to create a comprehensive guide that will help you make the right decision! If you are still deciding whether you want to go for a diploma, masters or MBA check out our previous blog here: PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada: Understanding the differences and choosing the right option
What is an MBA?
Masters of Business Administration is a globally renowned and recognised degree that helps students strengthen their business and management skills. It is available in various fields of study such as Human Resources, Finance, Marketing etc. Currently it is one of the most trending professional degrees in the world. There are several countries that offer this course however Canada, in the recent years, has proven to be amongst the best.
Canada is one of the most diverse and welcoming countries in the world. In recent years hundreds of students have chosen to study in this picturesque, beautiful country. The field of MBA has also flourished in Canada in recent years. 15 out of 150 Canadian universities belong to the QS world ranking. In addition to the top courses, Tier B universities in Canada also offer a wide range of courses that only require three years of bachelor’s degree. There is something for everyone in this country. Several cities in Canada are known for their high standard of living, there are several earning opportunities for students studying here which makes it affordable to live in this country. The universities here offer a wide network of contacts which is bound to give your career a head start.
Types of MBA :
- Full-Time MBA: This is generally a 2 year program that involves 20 months of intense theory-based learning and 4 months of internship. Not only does it focus on academics but also on real-time work experience.
- Part-Time MBA: The part time course allows students to work and study at the same time. The duration of this course is 32 months, students have to dedicate two hours a day, either in the day or evening. It allows flexibility to working students so that they don't have to miss out on their work and studies.
- Executive MBA: This is a rigorous course of 15 months divided into four semesters. The classes happen on the weekends and these are intense high pressure environments. These classes are designed for experienced professionals, taught by experienced professionals.
Top tier universities in Canada:
If you are looking for the best of the best provided you have reached the highest academic goals then here are the eligibility criterias of universities you should consider:
1) Sauder School of Business (University of British Columbia)
- A 3-4 years Bachelor’s degree with a B+, or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution.
- GMAT score of 550 with at least a 50th percentile in quantitative and verbal sections or GRE score of 155 on both verbal and quantitative sections.
- IELTS score of 7 with 6 in all modules or PTE academic score of 70.
- 2 years full time work experience is required with a preference given to those with an experience of 3-5 years.
2) Rotman School of Business ( University Of Toronto)
- A 4 year Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum gpa of 3.0 out of 4.0.
- A GMAT score of 650 or a GRE score of 320 plus.
- IELTS score of 7 with minimum 6.5 in each module and an overall 100 in TOEFL IBT.
- A 4 years of work experience is recommended however a Minimum 2 years of full time work experience is needed
- On successful admission to the program the candidates will have to go through a personal interview.
3) McGill University
- A 4 year Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum gpa of 3.5 out of 4.0.
- A Minimum score of 700 in your GMAT exam is required.
- You will need a minimum work experience of 2 years.
- IELTS score 7 with a minimum of 7 in each band.
- You also need to answer three essay questions and upon selection you will need to be present for your interview.
4 ) University of Alberta :
- A 4 year Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum gpa of 3.0 out of 4.0. The last two years should consist of 60-credit-of-study; however for a strong applicant (academically), three years can be considered.
- A GMAT score of 550 or a GRE score of minimum 320.
- IELTS score of 7 with nothing less than 6 in each module and an overall 600 in TOEFL (paper based) and 68 in PTE.
- A 5 years of work experience is recommended however a Minimum 2 years of full time work experience is needed
- On successful admission to the program the candidates will have to go through two rounds of interviews.
5) DeGroote School of business (McMaster University)
- A competitive GPA (8.0 out of 12.0 or a 3.0 out of 4.0) in the final two years of your undergraduate degree is required.
- 3 or 4 years bachelor degree considered from recognized University
- A GMAT score of 520 and 320+ in GRE with an overall 7 in your IELTS.
- A minimum of 1 year full time managerial work experience is required.
- Selected candidates have to go through a personal interview.
The beauty about studying in Canada is that they cater to students with any and all academic backgrounds. There is something for everyone here. If you are someone who has scored the conventional ‘High score’ but are still interested in pursuing MBA, then check out a list of these universities and their eligibility criteria:
1) University of Windsor
- A cumulative GPA of 70% or above is required which is calculated based on the last 2 years of full time studies of your qualifying degree.
- 4 years bachelor degree required for this particular university.
- A GMAT score of 550 (Verbal 26, Quantitative 30) however a competitive score would be 600 or more.
- IELTS score should be a minimum of 7 overall.
- Work experience is not required to apply for this course.
2) Brock University
- A four year bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited institution which is equivalent to a Canadian 4 year Bachelor’s degree will be considered.
- A score of 75% or a B grade in the last two years of study is required.
- A minimum score of 550 is required in GMAT and the GRE score should be in the 60th percentile.
- For your english requirements either of this will be considered: TOEFL IBT: 105 , IELTS: 7.5 and PTE (academic) 72
3) University of Calgary
- A four year bachelor’s degree with a minimum score of 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 in the last two years of your full-time course (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalent or 60 units).
- A minimum score of 550 in GMAT or equivalent GRE score. With an IELTS score of 7 overall with 6 in each module.
- Work experience is not mandatory.
4) Carleton University
- A Four-year Bachelor’s degree with an overall cumulative grade point average of a “B” which is the equivalent of 8.0/12 on Carleton’s scale. The CGPA calculation will be based on all four years of study.
- Min GMAT 550 or equivalent GRE Scores with a IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6 in all modules and a 60 overall in PTE with a minimum 60 in each communicative skill.
- Those with two or more years of professional experience might be exempted from the internship in the program.
- Those candidates who have been shortlisted may receive an invitation to participate in a video interview.
5) Dalhousie University
- 4 years bachelor degree from recognized University with min 3.0 out of 4.0 scale required.
- A Grade Point Average of B (or 3.0) or better in the final two years (20 credits)
- Minimum score of 550 in your GMAT or an equivalent GRE score.
- IELTS score needs to be 7.
- Selected candidates have to go through an interview round.
For students who have completed only 15 years of education with a minimum grade of 55% and above, here are a few options that you can explore:
1) University Canada West
- They accept 3 years of bachelor degree, minimum 55 %+ required.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 overall with 5.5 in one module (except writing).
- GMAT is not required for this course.
- 3 years work experience is appreciated however it is not mandatory.
2) Thompson Rivers university
- A minimum B average (GPA 3.0 on a scale of 4.33 or local equivalent) from a three or four year undergraduate degree in any discipline.
- A GMAT score is not required, however applicants might be asked to submit their scores in order to support the degree committee in assessing their application if and when deficiencies are identified.
- IELTS score of 7.0 (with no band below 6.5).
- Work experience is not required, freshers are welcome to apply.
3) Vancouver Island University
- 3 years bachelor’s degree from a business or non-business discipline with a minimum B average in the last two years of the degree.
- GMAT is not required however an IELTS score of 7 with a minimum of 6.5 in each module is required.
- 1 year of work experience is preferable but not compulsory.
4) University of New Brunswick
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a minimum grade of CGPA 3.0 out of 4.3 or a B average is required.
- A 3 years bachelor degree is accepted with a minimum percentage of 60%.
- A minimum GMAT score of 550 or GRE equivalent that is no more than five years old.
You can request a GMAT waiver if you meet the following criteria:
1) i) an undergraduate CGPA of 3.4 or higher on a scale of 4.3; OR
ii) a Master degree from a reputable University; OR
iii) a professional designation (e.g. CPA, CFA) from a reputable North American body.
2) Three years of work experience (preferably at a middle-to-senior level management position).
IELTS 7 overall with a minimum of 6 in each band.
5) Trinity Western University :
- A GPA of at least 3.0 in the final two years of your undergraduate degree.
- A 3 years bachelor degree is accepted
- GMAT is not required for admission however TWU reserves the right to request it for the few applicants who may have a lower academic background or insufficient quantitative or business studies background.
- Work experience is not required for this program, though past work or volunteer experience can strengthen your application.
- A minimum score of 7 is required in your IELTS.
There is something for everyone in Canada, if you want to pursue your MBA and are unable to find the right fit, contact us and we will get you in touch with our most experienced counsellors!
Use the MyStudia Search page to find the best match programs for you. For free counselling sessions, reach out at email@example.com or +91 61907400